THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > Ideas Page > Colored US Troops and Integration

Bennie McRae

Hi, I was wondering if we will see any integration of US colored troops into white units? I know it didn't actually happen until 1948, but I figure in this new historical timeleine the US government might want to move up that timeline some for manpower purposes. Also will we be seeing other colored units besides the 92nd Infantry Division. I would love to see some action involving the 761st Tank Battalion.

February 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

I forget the TD unit, but I think that Ive included it later. The short answer is no. Its not something Ive considered. I shall do so.

--

February 28, 2015 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bennie McRae

I figure the allies are hurting for manpower and showing the integration of black soldiers into white units would be interesting to see. Would they get along in order to fight a common enemy or would they end up hurting the mission because they were too busy fighting each other? I just think it would be something interesting to explore. The Soviets could even get involved by trying to drive a wedge between newly integrated units. They could use propoganda trying to entice black soldiers to "quit fighting a war along side people who treat you like second class citizens". Just an idea.

February 28, 2015 at 9:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

A while back I chatted with someone whose father was a black soldier in Europe. He said that there was in-fighting between the different black groups as well, something i tried to reflect in my piece on the 92nd. I suspect thatthere would be more divisions formed, but am unsure if the circumstances would have existed for full integration. It is a sad fact that people in those times were less enlightened than now, despite the injustice or the urgencies of war. But you have raised a very good point,  and I will explore it more.

--

March 1, 2015 at 4:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bennie McRae

I think during the Battle of the Bulge Eisenhower allowed some black soldiers to fight in white units because of the shortage of manpower so maybe he could do the same thing during this war. I figure if the powers that be are willing to turn a blind eye to the SS Soldiers in the French Foriegn Legion then they may be willing to accept some type of integration. Use what you got to do what you must when it comes to fighting a large enemy like the Soviets.

March 1, 2015 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

A fair point. I was not aware of any integration during the Bulge. The more I go through the process of writing this series, the more I realise how little I actually know about the one war I have spent years reading about!

--

March 2, 2015 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top