Forums

Forum Home > Research Trip 2014 > the trip

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner
--

May 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

\Well I don't know what I've just had to drink but it was lovely and I'm a tad legmaforfeited. Belgian drivers....... almost a contradiction in terms that. Ive always known them to be collectively bad, but yesterday they excelled themselves. Leave the width of a gnats cock between you and the car in front and they try to get into it. However, I reserved my most important comment for the idiotic Belgian lady driving the range rover. You nearly killed four of us. And the day I need hand signal advice from a Belgian re driving will be after dementia has got hold and I'm in persistent vegetative state, although I still think I could out drive you even then. Idiot woman. Visited brahmsee and the Kiel canal today. Denmark tomorrow.

--

May 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Interesting in Denmark. Visited a former Danish resistance base in an old inn that seeped its history. Caught up with an old friend who was able to help me out with understanding Karup airfield a lot better. Part of me wishes that it had a greater part to play in the series as it has a lot of potential. Now, off to Lowland to stare wistfully at beaches and grassland. Take care y'all

--

May 8, 2014 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Left Denmark today and made Peenemunde in the rain with very little of note open. The U boat is actually an old soviet cold war sub (Grr) but I drove around a lot and got the feel of it all. Now in koserow and having very early night as big drive tomorrow.

--

May 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Repositioning commenced at 0940. Completed at 1915. I'm in frombork for a quick look at A, and yet found the breathtaking B as I drove in. Must work it in somehow. I'll brief you lot later.

--

May 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

My sightseeing around frombork was curtailed due to heavy rain, so Ilodded across country to find the wolfschanze. Its quite a place, and as you wander through the woods, huge concrete structures lie in all directions, and in varying states of repair. By the way, you don't want to here thunder just as you reach the furthest point from shelter and you've no coat or cover for your expensive camera lol. When I first tried to book the hotel here the system told me they were full. It is the old SS barracks so I expected no less. However, that would seem to have been a glitch, as, unless anyone else turnsm up, I will be the sole occupant of the site for the night. I expect that may feel a little wired!

--

May 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

No one mentioned the mosquitoes either! Anyway, finally made it ti Vilnius. Polish road works everywhere. However, detoured t a small area I had studied on Google maps and bingo. What a battleground for book seventy-three :-) will do the castle tomorrow morning when I hope it isn't raining as it is now.

--

May 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Vilnius to Bialystok took me through someplace I can tell you. One area I had my heart set on turned out to be totally useless for my needs alas. Basically, I hot very little out of yesterday except a diabetic rush. Ive been very careful but something got through last night Grr. Still 11.3 this morning. Off to Warsaw shortly and, as yet, no rain.

--

May 14, 2014 at 3:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Found a lovely spot on the pilica river today. However,pulled over for a snooze and missed the alarm oops its now lashing down in Lublin

--

May 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

So, catch up time,

After being as wet as a very wet person recovering my car, we went to visit Auschwitz-Birkenau, I have been there before as you old timers will know, and I really didn’t want to go again, and Im not sure why. However, I did Auschwitz partially, and the guide for the others was excellent.

After handing over mucho cash to the Polizei, there was no alternative but to eat spicy food and drink until the memory faded. However, that happened before I left the bar, and I am reliably informed that I had more Long Island Iced teas than I thought. For the record, the illuminati restaurant in Ul. Golebia, Krakow, serves the very best I have ever consumed.

Sunday morning is a haze.

Sunday afternoon we visited the ghetto and old Jewish Quarter, having quickly stopped off at Schindler’s factory for a photoshoot.

Back to the Illuminati for a fine birthday dinner for yours truly.

Monday saw a long road trip in increasing heat, from Krakow to Budapest, which resulted in some superb views of the Tatra mountains and considerable damage to my car’s braking system [unknown to me]. Imagine my delight at finding that Hungary has cold lager too!

Tuesday morning was spent enjoying heavy heat in Budapest [watch out for a humdinger of a scrap set on one of the bridges and nearby market] and then we embraced the Danube so close that my wife has a picky of her wet feet 

On entering Vienna the braking problem decided to announce itself, damn its black heart.

So.... Wednesday was spent in search of someone to repair it, and Thursday morning at the repairers spending 1200 euros to put it all right. Basically pads, discs, and cylinders had all decided that I had put them through enough.

The work wasn’t finished in time, so the final Thursday lunch ended up as a swift goodbye in the garage as most of the group left for the airport. I had no chance whatsoever to do any RG work in Vienna grrr.

My daughter and I found time to hit the ferris wheel and park before heading for Mauthausen, where we arrived late.

Early in the morning and to Mauthausen Camp. Again, I’ve been before, but I wanted to do the steps; all or nothing. I failed. However, my girl did, despite the incredible heat.

And now, I find myself in Wenceslas Square, scene of something for RG, having even managed to find a parking space in the square itself, although if you look closely you will notice a smashed driver’s wing mirror, the result of simple misjudgement and stupidity on my part. Hey ho. So long as there are still four wheels......

Tomorrow, some serious RG work begins, as we head for Dresden.

--

May 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Well, it goes on Grr. Dresden yesterday was a total washout, even to the point of sitting in car waiting for rain to subside enough to get bags out. I then drove to park in the car park the receptionist pointed out to me...... or not as it happened. I parked in the department store underground facility. They don't open on Sundays.......... or they do on payment of 40e once you can find the number to ring security and they arrive. That lost nearly 2 hours. However, Berlin was excellent. Now in Grimma . Remember the name ��

--

May 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Apologies. Two nights in Hohegeiss without internet hmm. Visited Nordhausen and scoped the whole Harz for likely sites. Visited one place i'd spotted on a map and ..... wow. The whole future battlefield came alive in front of me. One for the future but it will be a big one and messy. Now in Frankfurt, having driven through the Fulda Gap looking for more invitation, which I found. Tomorrow, a little venture to a place on the Rhine, and then to friends for a stress free day.......... I hope! ABS light came on today and wont go away lol.

--

May 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Yesterday I moved from Frankfurt to haserich, via some breathtaking Rhine scenery. I visited a place that had seemed highly suitable for a river crossing but found it not so, and then stumbled upon a place with all the credentials in place. Can't wait to write it. Today is the last day, and I will be driving to Wissant via Dahlem, the place where Towers overcame Artem'yev. There's something I need to recheck before writing more about the place. Personally, I say roll on tomorrow, cos its been one long trip. I will post when I am safely back home.

--

May 30, 2014 at 2:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Back home, back at work, not happy :-( The trip was very hard and I am extremely tired. Much to my disappointment, the weather, my need to sleep a lot, lack of energy et al conspired to reduce the effectiveness of some of my visits but I brought back sufficient to do some good work in later volumes. For those who are interested, the total mileage was 5044 door to door.

--

June 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top