THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > Ideas Page > How to possition the story telling

Frank La Rue

Hi Collin,

I am an awid reader your work, into the 4th book now and I can sense with me and from comments with other readers a certain saturation when it comes to very detailed and lenghty battle descriptions.

They are extremely well written, and I mean this, however the overall plots and politics, espionage and suspense is so strong in its own right that you can gain in stature as a writer by tuning down the volume of battle details and go a bit more into depth on the plots.

The scenes when various people meet with Stalin to report whatever, is always a thrill and a chilling read, sort of "Thank God it is not me who has to report to this man", the characters apparently are well researched and carry the stories in their own right.

It is almost as your confidendce as a writer is first and foremost founded on a volume of military knowledge and detail, and that you are unaware of the quality of your plot and the character descriptions.

If you dare to rely more on the caliber of your character descirption, plot and suspence, your writing will gain in literary quality, as the potential is there.

You would be a superb writer of political suspense and character analysis even if there were no battle scenes at all.

I encourage you to take the plunge and rely more on this part of your writing talent, and you will gain an even wider audience. This does not mean no battle scenes at all, just shorten no of pages a little.

Maybe this is not what you want though, maybe you want to remain firmly planted in the tradition of military fiction

The pitty is, we then loose out on the full power of your story telling, suspence, espionage, politics and complex characters, the whole works, as it comes a bit in the shadow of bullets and blood, gutter and dead bodies at the moment.

Regards, with a lot of respect and passion for your work

April 16, 2014 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Thank you for those kind words. I know I enjoy the non-battle stuff as much as the fighting parts, more so at times. I think that I will stick with what I know at the moment, and that is that the combination works, although in Impasse I tinkered with it just a tad. I have other ideas for when RG is complete, and you may well have planted a seed there. My priority is to enjoy the act of writing, especially as I am convinced that it brings out better product for you, the reader. Thank you for the compliments and thank you for making me think outside the box in the future. regards.

--

April 16, 2014 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at April 16, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Thank you for those kind words. I know I enjoy the non-battle stuff as much as the fighting parts, more so at times. I think that I will stick with what I know at the moment, and that is that the combination works, although in Impasse I tinkered with it just a tad. I have other ideas for when RG is complete, and you may well have planted a seed there. My priority is to enjoy the act of writing, especially as I am convinced that it brings out better product for you, the reader. Thank you for the compliments and thank you for making me think outside the box in the future. regards.

I agree. Maybe after RG is finished, you could try penning a spy thriller.

May 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top