THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > Ideas Page > Will the war affect progress on small arms development?

Keith Lange

Will we see any new types of small arms, or will development on real world weapons be speeded up? For example, will we see the SKS carbine or RPD machine gun, or the Stg45 Mauser (roller delayed blowback assault rifle in 7.92/8mm Kurz, the basis for the later G3 and CETME)? Or will the sides be bascially fixated on the heavier stuff such as tanks?

December 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

SKS is a definite possibility. I've ruled ou the AK47 in the time frame of RG. The factor most in play will be capacity, plus need. If the USSR has the need for the SKS and can produce it, without affecting other weapons, Then that will be acceptable. Same principle across the board I think.

--

December 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at December 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

SKS is a definite possibility. I've ruled ou the AK47 in the time frame of RG. The factor most in play will be capacity, plus need. If the USSR has the need for the SKS and can produce it, without affecting other weapons, Then that will be acceptable. Same principle across the board I think.

Will we see the RP-46 or the SGM? 

July 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

The RPG6 was in use in WW2 so definitely, if I havent already. Not sure on that one. The SGM most certainly, and probably the RP46.

--

July 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at July 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

The RPG6 was in use in WW2 so definitely, if I havent already. Not sure on that one. The SGM most certainly, and probably the RP46.

Yeah, but I haven't seen the SG-43 yet, and the Sovs would certainly have used it. Also, how common is the Mosin M44 carbine as opposed to the 91/30 among the Soviet forces in RG?

July 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Havent given the Mosin a second thought to be frank. Carbines werent a standard infantry issue as i recall.

--

July 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at July 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Havent given the Mosin a second thought to be frank. Carbines werent a standard infantry issue as i recall.

Not the M38 carbine, but the M44 was adopted as the standard service rifle of the Soviert Army, I believe.

The M44 was issued to a wide range of Red Army soldiers, as the carbine was not designed solely as an issue weapon to artillery, messenger, rear echelon or cavalry troops. Unlike Soviet and Russian carbines of the past the M44 was issued to front line infantry troops, and there is known Soviet war- time footage showing front line infantry troops armed with M44 carbines. In some of this same footage it was also noticed that a small number of the dreaded and feared NKVD blocking troops carrying M44's. The NKVD blocking troops were perhaps the most odious Red Army servicemen of the period, as it was their task to shoot any Red Army troops that attempted retreat without instructions.

Due to the late war production of the M44, it was never issued on the grand scale the Red Army had intended. In reality it would be inaccurate to call the M44 a commonly encountered wartime weapon as the fighting ended before a mass issue could take place. All troop reports concerning these carbines appear to have been quite complimentary, as the M44's short length (1020mm) and light weight ( 3.90kg unloaded ) was quite a relief from the heavier and bulky M91/30. The M44 was quite popular with the small number of troops that these carbines were actually issued to. Although the M44 is a bit hefty for a carbine, the bayonet and assembly is not what one would call light, the M44 is still an agreeable weapon for battlefield use. Many shooters feel that the M44 is one of the more natural point-shooting military surplus firearms; however, there are those that find the M44 a bit muzzle heavy.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/russian-m44-carbine.asp

July 24, 2014 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at July 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

RPG6?

July 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

I'm an idiot. Looked at the wrong piece on my info sheet and I was very tired lol Im thinking of advancingthe RPG2 though, but Im unsure if I can do it.

--

July 26, 2014 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at July 26, 2014 at 7:06 AM

I'm an idiot. Looked at the wrong piece on my info sheet and I was very tired lol Im thinking of advancingthe RPG2 though, but Im unsure if I can do it.

No, you're not a idiot, you just made a mistake. We all do. Lord knows I've made my share, and then some. :D As for the Mosin series rifles, I think that at the start of RG, the Sov. forces will have mainly 91/30s, with a good number of 44s. As time goes on, new units being created, and replacements for rifles damaged or destroyed or lost means a increase in the number of 44s. I think that sometimes during 1946, the Soviet Army will come to have mostly M44s, though there probably will still be troops who have M91/30s.

July 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

So it looks as if we may see the AK-47 in action in Endgame. They're probably small in number among the Soviet forces. Also, will we see other weapons, such as the MAS 44 semi auto rifle? I think that the French would want to produce them in large numbers for firepower's sake. Also, I was hoping to see other French weapons in action like the mas-36 rifle and FM-24-29 machine gun. THen again, they no doubt saw some action regardless, even if off the page.

May 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

The AK will be there of course. The MAs will be in service, but whether it gets a direct mention is another matter. the 24/29 has been in service for ages. Again, if it gets a direct mention then fine, but its a venerable beast.

--

May 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at May 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM

The AK will be there of course. The MAs will be in service, but whether it gets a direct mention is another matter. the 24/29 has been in service for ages. Again, if it gets a direct mention then fine, but its a venerable beast.

MAS? Do you mean the 44? Yes, the 24/29 is venerable, but from what I know, it's still a good weapon, and if something's good or effective, I don't think it'd be thrown out. I always figured the mas-36 saw action in RG, even if not mentioned, such as with the ill-fated French 14th Infantry Division. Also, I was wondering if you were familiar with the RPG-1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-1

May 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Both it and the RPG-2 are reasonably familiar to me :-)

--

May 18, 2016 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top