THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Soviet Atomic Weapons in Red Gambit - Spoilers

Ron Paludan

I'm assuming that the Soviets used Uranium gun-type designs, since they used centrifuges, did test a device and were getting false intelligence on the U.S. atomic program from a compromised agent.

A few questions come to mind.

1. The V-2 had a maximum warhead mass of around 1000 kg. The Little Boy atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima weighed around 4400 kg. Atomic weapons small enough to be carried by a V-2 were not developed by either the U.S. or the Soviet Union until the 1950s. Would it have been possible to have a 1000 kg atomic weapon in 1947? Would it be possible by lowering the yield?

2. How many centrifuges did the Soviets have? It almost certainly would have required tens of thousands for them to create enough bomb-grade U-235 for nine warheads by 1947.

November 12, 2017 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Paludan

After edit time expired, noticed an error: "did NOT test a device". Sorry

November 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

there was my problem. I had to reduce the size of the device, and therefore the yield, to fit within the v2. the japanese centrifuges were extremely advanced but arrived late in the party, although the inference is that some japanese material came with them. The Soviets did capture a great load fo uranium oxide from the Germans in 1945 and it was [in RG] Stalins pet project, so again the inference is that they pushed ahead. As with a number of things within RG, i had to advance the time line and enhance the capabilities to fit the plot I designd. Hopefully nothing that suspended reality, in as much as, nothingthat was science fiction. i did receive one comment about the stupidity of teh prufstand... which made me chuckle, as it was actually available [as i outlined] in 1945. I now understand thatthe fine line between alternate history and taxing people's understanding of what could have been possible is a faint one. Hopefully, you can go with me on this :-)

--

November 14, 2017 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Paludan

I have found obvious one way to cut the mass of the Little Boy design from 4400 KG to around 2400 kg. Both Little Boy and Fat Man had 3/8" steel casings. At the time, the Air Corp was concerned about the weapons being damaged by flak and felt they needed some armor. Obviously, that would not be required for a warhead on a ballistic missile. Getting down to 1000kg is harder, but the U.S. W-9 warhead is proof that that can be done - it just took many more years to reach that technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W9_(nuclear_warhead)

November 15, 2017 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Indeedy. the fact that it was possible was great. i just had to advance the time frame.

--

November 16, 2017 at 4:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top