THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > East Asia

Todd

First, this was a great series.  Very well thought out and executed to a satisfying (and reasonable, if understated) conclusion.  I only have a small bone to pick. 

I believe that the resolution you achieved would prevent a communist China, a divided Korea and seriously alter the rest of the history of Asia.  So much of what happened in that spere in our time was based on Soviet strength, Chinese Communist access to left over Japanese and Soviet weaponry and hasty moves by Chiang to resolve the chaotic situation left behind by the sudden Japanese collapse in northern China.  At the same time, Russia felt secure in projecting force into Korea because Stalin felt he had bested the Americans and did not fear them.  I feel that the way things resolved in your time line, things would have been different: 

1.  Instead of leftover Japanese and Soviet equipment and a convenient power vacuum, Mao would have to deal with a substantial American presence which sees him as little better than Hitler or Stalin. This presence, probably a multi-year one, would provide the stability Chiang needed to get a grip on things.

2. Truman would be a more bold international player than he historically was, having had to learn quickly to assemble and lead an almost unmaneagable international coalition.  He would also be less likely to trust Soviet intentions to be good and be more aggressive in return.

3.  Having been badly bloodied and needing to rebuild internally - politically and economically - the Soviet government would be less open to the high stakes adventurism that they historically pursued in the late 40's and early 50's. 

4.  Adventurism in the East was enabled by the enormous gains in security in the West.  Lacking that security, adventurism is much less likely.

5.  Lastly, much of what transpired after the end of WWII was driven by the Man of Steel and his feelings (understandable in light of circumstances) of superiority.  He had seen his system taken to the brink and then witnessed Soviet banners over Berlin and credited it all to his own strength and ability to understand and manipulate the enemy - Nazi, Ally or domestic.  He was convinced that he was a better man than Truman and therefore would win where ever he turned.  Lacking that personal touch, much of what actually happened would not have transpired.  It is one of the great ironies of 20th Century history that a century so plagued by mass movements was actually most impacted by a handful of very singular individuals.  (Something you capture so very well in your writing.) 

Really enjoy what you do, if you ever need a hand in editing, count me in.

--
September 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Thank you for your post and your offer. I guess what came after was not a great concern of mine in truth. I chose to leave the Vietnam and Korean Wars in place historically for my own purposes. I have alluded elsewhere that the Korean War would be unlikely to take place in the RG environment. I suspect your predictions are quite close to the probable outcomes in an RG world. Maybe another  book for someone else to write :-) Thanks again.

--

September 14, 2017 at 3:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top